Farrer Park which is located in Singapore’s Central Region is actually a subzone of the Rochor planning region, and is bordered by Rangoon Road, Serangoon Road, Race Course Road, Tekka Lane, Northumberland Road, and Bukit Timah Road. Interestingly, these following paragraphs are about the Farrer Park subzone which, according to the URA (Urban Redevelopment Authority), is a portion of the Rochor planning region. Traditionally, the term “Farrer Park” was related to an open field which was located to the subzone’s west. At present, this field is referred to as “Farrer Park Field” which is situated inside the Kaltang planning arena.
Farrer Road and Farrer Park Near to Perumal Road Condo
Farrer Road and Farrer Park were nomenclated after R.J. Farrer who happened to be the Municipal Assessor as well as the later President of the Municipal Commissions in the 20s. An attempt was made to alter the name of Farrer Road in 1952; however, it was not successful. The development is close to Perumal Road Condo by Low Keng Huat.
The race course which was set up in the month of December in 1842 was actually operated by the Singapore Sporting Club. Horse races were mostly organized on the weekends which attracted a huge European audience. The large turf of the Racecourse was used on the non-race days as a grazing area, golf course as well as a rifle range. The Baweanese settlers who hailed from Java, Indonesia, were responsible for staffing this Racecourse. A huge number of Indian people who likewise resided in the Farrer Park area were the workers as well as owners of these cattle farms, local pineapple factories, as well as rattan processing houses. These cattle farms were responsible for naming this area by its Malay name of Buffalo Shed or Kandang Kerbau.=
Farrer Park Attraction Close to Racecourse Road
It was in March 1911 that the very first plane flew over Singapore. Singapore celebrated its centenary on 6th February 1919 and a huge fair held at Farrer Park was the primary attraction of this event. The Racecourse grounds were utilised as an airstrip as well.
The Racecourse was renamed as the Singapore Turf Club in 1924. It stayed at Farrer Park for another 9 years till 1933 when it was shifted to the Bukit Timah Race Course. After that, Farrer Park was opened for the public. A Sports House was established and playing arenas were set in a location which was previously the grandstand. Farrer Park continued to be a popular sporting venue for quite a few years and the Sports House turned into the National Sports Promotion Board’s headquarters from 1971 to 1973. Sports House was occupied by a few other sports associations till 1985 before a fire destroyed it.
Farrer Park Political Gatherings
It was during the violent pre-and post-war years of Singapore that Farrer Park witnessed its share of political gatherings. In the year 1942, Malay and Indian soldiers were brought together at Farrer Park after the Japanese captured Singapore, and these soldiers were requested by the new rulers to change their allegiance. Political rallies were held at Farrer Park in this post-war struggle for freedom. In the year 1955, the first local political elections were held in Singapore for the Legislative Assembly. The People’s Action Party campaigned for an autonomous government at Farrer Park on 15th August 1955.
Following the independence of Singapore on 9th August 1965 the returning military staff were posted at Farrer Park till appropriate barracks were found. Interestingly, a lot of roads here were named after some places in England including Bristol, Carlisle, Cambridge, Gloucester, Owen, Norfolk, Hampshire, Dorset, Hertford, Kent, Northumberland, and Oxford. Consequently, this area was renamed as Little England by many Eurasians who were residing here. However, Owen Road which was named for George P. Owen who happened to be the secretary of different sport clubs in Singapore during the late 19th as well as early 20th century was a notable exception to this.